Are you wondering how to get a security guard license in Alberta? Becoming a security guard is a simple process that requires only a handful of key steps. Additionally, unlike many careers, it doesn’t require expensive education or time-consuming training.
In this post, we’re outlining the steps you need to take to get a security guard license and start working in your new role as soon as possible. After reading this guide, you’ll have all the information you need to become a security guard.
What do security guards do?
The overarching role of any security guard is to protect property, visitors, or personnel from criminal activity, such as theft, vandalism, inappropriate conduct, harassment, illegal entry, and more. Most security guards work in offices, stores, airports, hospitals, construction sites, or anywhere that’s susceptible to criminal activity or needs specialized surveillance.
Some of their responsibilities include:
- Monitoring buildings or sites by checking doors and windows for forced entry, tampering, or ensuring restricted zones remain locked
- Watching video surveillance for suspicious activities
- Filling out record logs for when inspections were conducted and making note of any abnormalities
- Routinely checking entrances, exits, parking lots, and other secured areas
To learn more about our security division at Alexander Business Corporation and the services we offer, check out our website!
What are the requirements to be a security guard?
While training is necessary (more on this later), you’ll also need to meet these requirements to get a security guard license:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Be able to walk or stand for long periods of time (a higher level of physical fitness is generally required)
- Have a calm reaction to stressful situations
- Must not have a criminal record
- Some positions may require you to have a clean driver’s abstract
If you meet these requirements, keep reading and learn how to get your security guard license!